19 June 2012

July 29, 2011

If you know me, you’ll know I’m kind of a freak about Finland.

You see, I went there for the first time back in 2009. Not just for funsies, mind, but because one of my friends from Cologne is Finnish. And she lives, you know, in Finland.

By the time I first visited her, I had been living abroad already for a couple of years, so I was pretty used to the whole living-in-Deutschland thing. I mean, by that time, I was already at the point where nothing really surprises me anymore. I was expecting Finland to be much of the same foreign-ness.
What I was not expecting was to land in a country that 100% resembles Canada minus the weirdo language. That’s for darn sure.

So, Finland has kind of become my Ersatz-Home. Even if I don’t understand a fekking thing those people are saying.

And why do I dare to bore you with these tales you’ve heard a million times?

Because I GO TO FINLAND SOON!!! Yaheeeeeee! I’m soon going to be in Moomin-lovin’, mosquito-ridden, it’s-practically-winter-in-September land. And, of course, since I start Finnish lessons next semester, it’ll also be the last time I have to worry about wandering around asking people if we can communicate in English or Russian instead.

And the thing is, since six months ago I ended my Germany-hiatus, I’m still going through waves of homesickness. This whole home-away-from-home thing couldn’t come at a better time. Friends, family and big sky.

Oooooh yeah.

No comments:

Post a Comment