19 June 2012

September 29, 2011

Every so often, I’ll notice something that highlights the fact I’ve become a little bit too accustomed to the way things are done here.

Case in point:

Yesterday I went out for a nice dinner. It was steak, and despite the fact it was beef from Argentina, the fact I haven’t had steak since March meant that I still thought it was phenomenal. Phenomenal in the close your eyes and savour sort of way.

But anyway.

There we were, eating and minding our own business when the server came up and asked, “Sind Sie zufrieden?”

I actually dropped my fork.

I mean, I know it’s not like I’ve been here twenty years or something. But I’ve been here long enough to not expect to see the server between the time of receiving the food and paying the bill. To be asked how everything was going?!

I felt like I had been magically transported to Canada.

The worst part of it all, though, is that my first thought was, “Why is she coming here to ask stupid questions? Can’t she just leave me alone while I eat?”

You know you’ve been in Germany too long when…

No comments:

Post a Comment